Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

katmc58

401k rollover

My husband had his 401K rolled over into his traditional IRA after he stopped working for a company. on the 1099-R is shows a total distribution and in box 7 the code is "G" for complete rollover and taxable amount is 0.  Why is it showing up as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

401k rollover

It depends on where it is showing up as taxable.  It shouldn't. Here is a way you can really tell if it is taxable or not.

1. If you are working in Turbo Tax online go to:
  2. Tax Tools
  3. Tools 
  4. Preview my 1040
  5. Look at Lines 5A and 5B.  5A should have an amount recorded with the notation rollover in the box but nothing should be reported in Line 5B.
  6. If you are working in the software, go to the forms mode and then look at the 1040.

if there is still an amount in Box 5B, you may have rolled this amount into a Roth account.  If this is the case then the amount is fully taxable because you are moving money from a tax-deferred plan into a plan funded solely with after-tax dollars.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
katmc58

401k rollover

on my form 1040 in 5a it does have the amount with the notation rollover and there is nothing in 5b. 

dmertz
Level 15

401k rollover

Then this is nontaxable income which has no effect on your filed tax return other than needing to be included on line 5a and excluded from taxable income on line 5b with the ROLLOVER notation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies