Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

401K rollover to Roth and Traditional IRA

Hi @dmertz, need some clarification on the break up.

1. I am breaking up the 1099-R I received from the custodian into two

2. On the first one,  for box 1 (Gross Distribution) and box 5 (Employee Contribution),  I put the box 5 amount from the original 1099-R

3. On the second one, for box 1 (Gross Distribution) I put the earnings amount calculated from the original 1099-R. Should this amount be placed on box 5 as well (Employee Contribution) or box 6 (Net Unrealized Appreciation)?

4. For the second 1099-R, what is the code I should use in box 7? Same as the 1st 1099-R (D-Direct rollover and rollover contribution?)

Appreciate your feedback.

dmertz
Level 15

401K rollover to Roth and Traditional IRA

@esarnc , I assume that the amount form box 5 of the original Form 1099-R is the amount rolled over to the Roth IRA.  For the first Form 1099-R, that's correct.  You'll answer No when asked if you rolled it over to a Roth 401(k) or Roth 403(b), then answer Yes when asked if this was rolled over to a Roth IRA.

For the second Form 1099-R, Everything should be the same as the original except that box 1 should contain the difference between the amounts in boxes 1 and 5 and box 5 should contain a zero.  Nothing goes in box 6 or any of the other dollar-amount boxes.  For this one you'll answer No to both question that ask if it was rolled over to any kind of Roth account.

The code for direct rollover of a 401(k) is G, not D.  (Code D would indicate a distribution that is not eligible for rollover.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies