Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K rollover containing both pretax and after tax money to Trad IRA and Roth

Hi, Some years ago, I put some after-tax money into a traditional 401K and I decided to roll that over to my Roth IRA this year. Administrator could not distribute just the after-tax contributions - they had to distribute the untaxed growth as well. I received one itemized check and deposited the after tax contributions in my Roth IRA and the untaxed growth into my Traditional IRA, specifically so as to avoid paying tax on the distribution.  I received one 1099, showing the gross distribution and the portion that was the (after-tax) employee contribution.

The TT tax questionnaire asks me if I rolled the distribution into a Roth IRA yes/no. There is no option to indicate that it went to two different sorts of accounts. The chatbot tells me to enter the two amounts on separate 1099's, but I only received ONE 1099 and I don't think I should enter different numbers and make up a new form.

How do I proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

You will have to split Form 1099-R into two separate Forms for TurboTax to handle this situation. One for the rollover to the traditional IRA and one for the conversion. As long as the total and distributions codes match entering it like this will not cause a problem.

1. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R” 
  2. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  3. Enter the first 1099-R for the rollover into the traditional IRA.
  4. On the "Did you move this money from a 401(k) to a Roth 401(k)?" screen answer "No"
  5. On the "Did you move the money to a Roth IRA?" screen answer "No"
  6. Enter a second 1099-R for the conversion to Roth IRA.
  7. On the "Did you move this money from a 401(k) to a Roth 401(k)?" screen answer "No"
  8. On the "Did you move the money to a Roth IRA?" screen answer "Yes"
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
jtax
Level 10

I'm not sure you can do what you want a do. I think you need to seek the advice of a CPA, enrolled agent, or tax attorney who does complicated retirement planning (not just filing ordinary 1040s).

The normal ("pro-rata") rule is that you cannot take out just after-tax contributions from non-Roth plans. Typically each dollar that comes out will be partially after-tax and partially pre-tax. (based on the 12/31 value of all similar plans: total after-tax contributions ("basis") / total FMV. Usually a very small %.) That is not what most people expect.

See for example the "How do rollovers from other retirement accounts (e.g., 401(k)s from previous employers) into an IRA affect the Pro-Rata Rule calculations and the strategy for Backdoor or Mega Backdoor Roth conversions?" from this article from a company with CPAs offering to help in this type of situation. I have no affiliation with them and cannot vouch for them. I just found this article with a quick search.

https://rgwealth.com/insights/how-to-avoid-the-pro-rata-rule-with-backdoor-and-mega-roth-conversions...

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

You will have to split Form 1099-R into two separate Forms for TurboTax to handle this situation. One for the rollover to the traditional IRA and one for the conversion. As long as the total and distributions codes match entering it like this will not cause a problem.

1. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R” 
  2. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  3. Enter the first 1099-R for the rollover into the traditional IRA.
  4. On the "Did you move this money from a 401(k) to a Roth 401(k)?" screen answer "No"
  5. On the "Did you move the money to a Roth IRA?" screen answer "No"
  6. Enter a second 1099-R for the conversion to Roth IRA.
  7. On the "Did you move this money from a 401(k) to a Roth 401(k)?" screen answer "No"
  8. On the "Did you move the money to a Roth IRA?" screen answer "Yes"

@DanaB27: Could I get some clarification on your response?

Enter the first 1099-R for the rollover into the traditional IRA. > When I enter the rollover amount into the traditional IRA, is it correct for me to put $0.00 for "Taxable amount" (Box 2a) and Distribution Code = G as on the 1099-R form? I did not see this thread and had posted https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/tt-questionnaire-on-1099-r-after... earlier this evening. 
If we use the following as an example, 

The transaction was an After-Tax Rollover from 401K with the following breakdown:

• $900 as non-taxable contributions rolled over to a Roth IRA and
  • $100 of taxable earnings rolled over to a Rollover Traditional IRA (defer taxes on $100 and any gains/earnings to a future date).

The 1099-R has the following information:

1. Box 1 (Gross Distribution): $1,000.
  2. Box 2a (Taxable Amount): $0.00.
  3. Box 5 (Employee Contributions / Designated Roth Contributions or Insurance Premiums): $900.
  4. Box 7: Code: G-Direct rollover and rollover contribution
  5. IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is BLANK.
  6. All other boxes are BLANK.

Would I use the same information for both 1099-R entries in boxes 2a, 7, IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box and all other boxes? If this is correct then, 

• for the first entry of 1099-R > rollover to traditional IRA > I would enter $100.00 in Box 1 and $0.00 in Box 5.
  • for the second entry of 1099-R > rollover to Roth IRA > I would enter $900.00 in Box 1 and $900.00 in Box 5.

And since I only have one 1099-R, can I send the same one as long as the 2 entries match the total on Box 1 (Gross distribution) on my 1099-R? Or, do I have to check "Corrected 1099-R" and fill out another form?

Thank you!

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, this is correct:

• for the first entry of 1099-R > rollover to traditional IRA > you would enter $100.00 in Box 1, $0 in box 2a, and $0.00 in Box 5. Select code G.
  • for the second entry of 1099-R > rollover to Roth IRA > you would enter $900.00 in Box 1, $0 in box 2a, and $900.00 in Box 5. Select code G.

No, you don't select corrected 1099-R. As long as the total and distributions codes match entering it like this will not cause a problem.

@RMD20201

@DanaB27 Thank you! 

I received one 1099-R form after rolling over from a 401(k) as follows:

1) rolling over pre-tax contributions and earnings on after-tax contributions to a Traditional IRA.

2) rolling over after-tax contributions to a Roth IRA.

For example, the 1099-R form contents include:
Box 1: $100,000

Box 2a: $0.00

Box 5: $5,000

Box 7: G, with IRA/SEP/SIMPLE not checked.

It is not clear to me what portion of the $100,00 amount in Box 1 is attributable to earnings on the after-tax contributions that were rolled over into the Roth IRA.

Is how to handle this situation a deficiency of turbotax or should I have received two 1099-R forms (from Fidelity)?

How should this be entered into turbotax? Should I create a second 1099-R form and then revise the initial 1099-R form in turbotax? If so, when I create a second 1099-R form, how will I know 

I apologize for the error and incompleteness of my question.

• The amount stated in "... It is not clear to me what portion of the $100,00 amount in Box 1 is attributable to earnings..." should be $100,000, not $100,00.
  • My final question was not complete. Basically, if I create a second 1099-R form, how will I know (how can I found out) how much of the $100,000 is attributable to earnings on the after-tax contributions. 

@Puzzled : Here is my understanding.

Box 7: G, with IRA/SEP/SIMPLE not checked

When you go through the questions on TT, based on the info you have provided above, $5,000 is towards the Roth IRA and $95,000 would be towards a Rollover Traditional IRA. 

Take a look at the following thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/re-401k-rollover-containing-both-pretax-and-... 

Thank you!

Thank you for your response.

So, for TT, do I need to split the one 1099-R form that I received, which is:

Box 2a: $0

Into two separate 1099-R forms in TT as follows:

1st form (for rollover into traditional IRA): 

Box 1: $95,000

Box 2a: $0

Box 5: $0

2nd form (for rollover into Roth IRA):

Box 1: $5,000

@Puzzled : You got it - this is what I understood from the other thread. 🙂

Don't have to select "Corrected 1099-R" - IRS cares that the total amount matches the one 1099-R you received. This is what I have gathered from the other threads on this topic.

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies