Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401k lost

I rolled over my 401k into a Roth IRA

the 401k issued a rollover check that was deposited to the new RothIRA. It was return on their system the next day.

I contacted the 401k ( issuer) and they maintain the check was cashed by the receiving company. The money has disappeared into thin air between these two companies.. it is not reflected in my new or old account.  How do I inform the IRS I never received or was able to transfer any money, will I  still be liable for a penalty on money I  never received. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

401k lost

Informing the IRS is the least of your problems. If the amount in the account is substantial, I think you need a lawyer to help you recover the money. Once you get it straightened out, if the money ends up in the Roth IRA you might not have an IRS problem at all. Tell your lawyer to stay on top of how the 401(k) will report the rollover, and to make sure they don't report it twice.

401k lost

If the amount is not large enough to hire a lawyer, you can still contact your state attorney general, department of commerce, or whatever other government agency that regulates banks and retirement plans in your state.  It sounds like you need to gather proof from the 401k (like a copy of the canceled check, or transaction details of any wire transfer) and then go back to the new IRA bank.  You might even contact whatever local news channel does "8 on your side" or whatever they call their consumer news and help segments. 

Also note: you may be told that in order to do this kind of rollover, it must be completed within 60 days.  And if you do get a check reissued, or the new bank finds the money, they may tell you that it is still do late to do a rollover.  While the 60 day rule is generally true, there is a procedure to request a waiver for cause, such as a bank error.  So if the money is found, you should still be able to treat it as a rollover. 

dmertz
Level 15

401k lost

It seems that there was a proper distribution from the 401(k), so I don't think that it's possible to avoid taxation of the distribution.

Depositing it into a Roth IRA as a rollover is a transaction that is not permitted to be undone.  What was the reason for the Roth IRA custodian rejecting the deposit?

401k lost

If you had used mobile deposit with the receiving custodian's app, the check would still be in your hands.

@Gclarissa  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies