Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

401k +i401k what is max contribution amount age <40 combined for 2018, employee maxed at 18500K between both plans?

401k through employer was getting w2 then so employee and employer contributions (from employer)

i401k income will allow max amount 54K for 1099 self employed after I quit employed job and did self employment. So did employee and employer contributions maxed out (one employer only myself), sole proprietor with an EIN
Combined they both come out to <55k but more than 54K, again employee maxed out combined both 401k plans to 18500, is that allow since part of the total <55K but >54K comes from a W2.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

401k +i401k what is max contribution amount age &lt;40 combined for 2018, employee maxed at 18500K between both plans?

Making elective deferrals at the W-2 employer means that less than $18,500 of elective deferrals can be made to the individual 401(k).  Since TurboTax's Maximize function for a self-employed 401(k) contribution is incapable of factoring in the elective deferrals made at the W-2 employer, if you did not max out the $18,500 at the W-2 job you can enter a self-employed elective deferral of up to $18,500 minus your elective deferral to the W-2 job.  Then, to cause TurboTax to calculate the maximum for only the permissible employer contribution, you must use the Maximize function for either a SEP contribution or a Profit Sharing Keogh instead of for a 401(k) contribution; the employer contribution calculation is the same for any of these.

Anonymous
Not applicable

401k +i401k what is max contribution amount age &lt;40 combined for 2018, employee maxed at 18500K between both plans?

I had a little bit of trouble using this, can we presume a total AGI of 200k and what would the numbers be?
dmertz
Level 15

AGI is not used in the calculation.  The values needed to do the calculations are net profit from the self-employment reported on Schedule 1 line 12, the deductible portion of self-employment taxes shown on Schedule 1 line 27 and any amounts with code D or code AA in box 12 of your W-2.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies