Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

path11

401K excess deferral in 2021- where to find what I did when I filed?

I overcontributed to my 401K in 2021 (changed employers).

I was able to get the excess back before 4/15/22 (not sure if that is correct terminology).

My understanding is, if I did not report it in my 2021 return, I will need to amend my 2021 return, with the 2022 1099R code P that I received.

If I did report it in my 2021 return, then I can ignore the 2022 1099R code P.

My question/problem is: I can't remember if I reported it or not. Will I be able to tell by reviewing my 2021 return? And where would it be?

I do know that I will have to report the 2022 1099R code 8 in this year's filing.

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

401K excess deferral in 2021- where to find what I did when I filed?

Yes, if you reported it on your 2021 return then you can ignore the 2022 Form 1099-R with code P.

The excess deferral amount would be included on line 1 of your 2021 Form 1040 if you reported it. You can check the "Wages, Salaries, & Tips Worksheet" (need to print/download all worksheets) it would be listed on line 9b if you used the steps below:

1. Click "Wages & Income" (under Federal) on the left side of your screen
  2. Scroll  down to "Less Common Income" and click "Show More"
  3. Scroll down to "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C" and click "Start"
  4. Select "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099" and click "Start"
  5. On the "Did you receive any other wages?" screen answer "Yes" and click "Continue"
  6. Continue until you get to the "Any other earned income" screen, answer "Yes" and click "Continue"
  7. On the "Enter Source of Other Earned income" screen select "Other" and click "Continue"
  8. On the "Any Other Earned Income" screen enter "2021 Excess 401(k) Deferrals" for the description, enter the amount and click "Done".

If entered a 2022 Form 1099-R with code P you would see it on line 3b on the "Wages, Salaries, & Tips Worksheet".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies