Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K contribution

I want to contribute the maximum amount to my self employed individual 401K plan. According to IRS publication 560, it appears I can contribute $22,500 plus $7500 catch-up (I am over 50). Also an additional employer contribution- not sure what this amount is.

My total compensation was $37,012 and my net income was $23,673.

I am trying to enter these amounts into TurboTax and it appears that the maximum amount allowed is $22,000 (not $22,500) and the catchup amount is not allowed. What am I doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

401K contribution

Thank you for the information. I did not realize that the contribution was based of business net profits rather gross income. It is truly a coincidence that the number turned out even- I even made a slight adjustment to the profit to double check. The round $22,000 number through me off track- thinking the program had the wrong parameters.

My follow up question is- can I make an additional employer contribution. If so- how much is allowed?

View solution in original post

dmertz
Level 15

401K contribution

$22,000 is the maximum permissible amount of total "additions" to the 401(k), either employee or employer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

401K contribution

The maximum that you can contribute is your net profit of $23,673 minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes, $1,673.  That leaves $22,000 as the maximum permissible 401(k) contribution which would end up being all regular employee deferral or Roth contribution.

The fact that it works out to such a round number, exactly $22,000, makes this sound like a homework question.

401K contribution

Thank you for the information. I did not realize that the contribution was based of business net profits rather gross income. It is truly a coincidence that the number turned out even- I even made a slight adjustment to the profit to double check. The round $22,000 number through me off track- thinking the program had the wrong parameters.

My follow up question is- can I make an additional employer contribution. If so- how much is allowed?

dmertz
Level 15

401K contribution

$22,000 is the maximum permissible amount of total "additions" to the 401(k), either employee or employer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies