Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099B coded X: Individual 48 sales most are fractional shares don't identify Acquistion Date or Cost Basis. They are part of a 2nd generation inherited portfolio. I have call into bank's brokerage office with the Trade Number to assist. Suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

1099B coded X: Individual 48 sales most are fractional shares don't identify Acquistion Date or Cost Basis. They are part of a 2nd generation inherited portfolio. I have call into bank's brokerage office with the Trade Number to assist. Suggestions?

When the Acquisition Date and Cost Basis are blank, the broker that issued the 1099-B doesn't know these values.

You don't need an exact Acquisition Date; choose 'Inherited' in TurboTax for how you received the stock, and the holding period is automatically long-term.  You can enter the date you got the stocks. 

If you know the date of death, you can look up the historical value at Big Charts.

@Chuck48 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for that information. That makes sense!  Appears I now need to delete the automatic upload of this 1099 B and manually re-enter myself with the information suggested here; and to then apply it to the summary level of this sale as opposed to each of the 48 fractional sales - correct? Thanks again. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies