Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-r step by step vs form view

I have noticed that the step be step method often does not capture all information that is on 1099-R forms. I suspect that step by step method captures what is required for filing. Although one can add additional information using form view, I suspect a lot of it is for the filers future reference. (Data that can be seen when printing with key sheets or all sheets) Do you typically go back to form view and add information not captured during step by step. Agree?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What specific information on the paper 1099-R is not captured in the Step-by-Step interview?

Entering information in forms mode can be confusing and could lead to errors. I personally do not use forms mode for 1099-R forms.

dmertz
Level 15

As far as I know, the only information not collected in step-by-step mode is the info from box 13 of the Form 1099-R.  It doesn't hurt to add that.  Nothing below the line beneath boxes 13, 17, 18 and 19 should be altered in forms mode.

EG  There's a box marked Account Number (no box number) on 1099-R forms.  Phone number for the Payer.

I also question if it's necessary to enter the recipients name and address exactly as shown on the 1099-R.  (Some come to my home address and others come to my PO Box)

I do note some of this information is note some of this information is not seen when printing information for filing, and is only seen on printed documents when printing with key or all sheets.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you enter information in forms mode, it does void the accuracy guarantee of the product, whereas the step-by-step method keeps this guarantee in place. @Danielle_30 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Entering in forms mode the account number, date of the payment or the payer's phone number has no impact on the accuracy guarantee because TurboTax does not use the information in these fields when preparing the tax return.

Try collecting on the Accuracy guarantee.

After reading the fine print, you'll see it's never going to happen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies