Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dovhun
Returning Member

1099-R code F is for charitable gifts or just annuity gifts. I did a RMD for 24000 and then gave 4000 to a charity and paid taxes on 20000 .What distribution code do I use.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

1099-R code F is for charitable gifts or just annuity gifts. I did a RMD for 24000 and then gave 4000 to a charity and paid taxes on 20000 .What distribution code do I use.

The custodian of your account determines the code you will find on your 1099-R.

@dovhun 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Use the code F on the 1099-R.  If this was an IRA then you can take a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) and the questions will be asked by TurboTax.  You should also have a code 7 in box 7 for a normal distribution. The Payer may have entered the taxable amount of your retirement as $20,000 (box 2a), if so there is nothing else to do except to complete the form in TurboTax.  The following information is for you to review if the taxable amount is greater than $20,000.

• What is a Qualified Charitable Distribution? (See the qualifications)
    • Code F: Charitable gift annuity
  • Watch the screens that follow after completing your 1099-R and enter the amount there when prompted if it qualifies. Be sure to select your checkbox for IRA.

If you do not qualify for the QCD, you may be able to take the donation as an itemized deduction if you have enough deductions.

The standard deduction is shown below for your convenience.  If your itemized deductions are greater than the standard deduction then you should use those.  The expenses most commonly associated with itemized deductions is medical expenses greater than 7.5% of your income, property taxes, state and local income tax or sale tax, mortgage interest and donations.

For single taxpayers and married individuals filing separately, the Standard Deduction is $13,850 in 2023. 

For married couples filing jointly is $27,700, and  

For heads of households, the Standard Deduction is $20,800

  

If you're at least 65 years old or blind, you can claim an additional deduction in 2023 of:

• $1,850 for single or Head of Household
  • $1,500 for married or Qualified Surviving Spouse.

If you're both 65 and blind, the additional deduction amount is doubled. 

@dovhun 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies