Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JFHJR
Returning Member

1099 INT, DIV, B

As I understand it, interest, dividends, and sale g/(l) are not reportable for tax purposes if they are in an IRA. Some online resources say these forms aren't even issued for IRAs. However, if they are issued by your financial institution, they are not to be reported.

It would seem to me if that is correct, it would make sense that the 1099 would indicate somewhere the amounts are from an IRA.

Additionally, it would make sense TurboTax would ask if these amounts are from an IRA at some point in the income entry process.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

1099 INT, DIV, B

The recipient's taxpayer ID number on the 1099 form will indicate whether the income is 'personal' or held in an IRA.  

If it is personal income to be reported on your tax return, your Social Security number will be shown as the recipient ID number.  If it is income held in an IRA, the recipient's ID number will be in the format xx-xxxxxxx and not a Social Security number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JFHJR
Returning Member

1099 INT, DIV, B

Thank you!

The TIN is the SSN, but it's definitely an IRA so I guess I need to call the custodian and find out why they are reporting it like this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies