Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

1099-DIV box 9. (distribution associated with a capital gain)

I have a cash liquidation distribution from a closely held C-Corp reported in 1099-DIV box 9. TT says, "We'll handle your cash liquidation distribution of $xx from XX later. Just remember to go to the investment income section under wages and income." When I try to complete the entry of investment income under stocks >add more sales, the only option is to create a 1099-B. I have a 1099-DIV, not B. When I select, "why don't I see my investment type here?", none of the choices apply. I'm afraid that if I directly enter the proceeds and basis directly on 8959 part II that other forms may not update properly (e.g. AMT).

I currently have 2 copies of form 8949, associated with box 'D' and 'E'. Each 8949 can only be associated with one box - D, E or F. It seems like I need a 3rd copy associated with box (F) Long-term transactions not reported to you on form 1099-B. How do I create 8949 (F)?

As a work-around, I entered the net capital gain in 1099-DIV Box 2a but I'm afraid this will trigger a review.  (The instructions say box 2a is always treated as long term capital gains)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies