Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1041 not showing Federal taxes withheld on distribution to beneficiary.

We have a complex trust where we took a tier2 partial annuity withdrawal to the trust.   The funds were then distributed to the beneficiary.    I have input the income on Box 8 as Ordinary income from 1099-R Box 2a, State taxes on line 11a, and Federal taxes on Schedule G Part II line14 with the box checked off.    The state taxes are deducted from income correctly, but I am missing something as it indicates a refund of Federal taxes to the Trust and doesn't pass this on to the beneficiary.  (Shows Distributable net income with no federal taxes deducted), which then creates an incorrect K1 for the beneficiary showing it received a bigger distribution than the actual.    How do I correct this?   Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#en_US_2023_publink100020113

Line 14—Federal Income Tax Withheld

Use line 14 to claim a credit for any federal income tax withheld (and not repaid) by (a) an employer on wages and salaries of a decedent received by the decedent's estate; (b) a payer of certain gambling winnings (for example, state lottery winnings); or (c) a payer of distributions from pensions, annuities, retirement or profit-sharing plans, IRAs, insurance contracts, etc., received by a decedent's estate or trust. Attach a copy of Form W-2, Form W-2G, or Form 1099-R to the front of the return.

Except for backup withholding (as explained below), withheld income tax can't be passed through to beneficiaries on either Schedule K-1 or Form 1041-T.

dmertz
Level 15

Other than backup withholding as mentioned by tagteam, credit for taxes withheld from a distribution paid to the trust is not permitted to be passed through to trust beneficiaries on Schedules K-1.  Excess tax withholding must be refunded to the trust.  Because of this, the beneficiaries might have underpaid taxes during the year.

Thank you for the reply and link to IRS doci.   

So if I am understanding this correctly..... The 1041 will have the "incorrect" Distributable Net income amount, but by inputting the Federal Tax withheld in Line 13 box B on the K-1 worksheet, this will pass the Credits and recapture of the tax amount already paid on to the beneficiaries K-1.  

dmertz
Level 15

No.  What was withheld was not backup withholding, so it is not to be reported in box 13 with code B.  See What is backup withholding:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/backup-withholding

Also, not being able to pass through the credit for the tax withholding does nothing to invalidate the amount of DNI shown on the Form 1041.

@rpietrycha wrote:

The 1041 will have the "incorrect" Distributable Net income amount......

No. As dmertz wrote, your DNI will not be impacted. Look at your Schedule B on your 1041 in Forms Mode (Line7).

Thanks to you both for your review of my situation and feedback.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies