Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We received WAY too much on the Third Stimulus....what do I do?

Hello!  

Here's the issue....last year, my husband and I received the Stimulus payments no problem.  The IRS went off of our joint 2019 tax return and our payments were direct deposited into a joint account we keep open between us.  

We separated in Feb of 2020 but our divorce is not yet final (should be next month).  

For the 2020 tax year - I filed my tax return as Head of Household - it is done.  I already received my 2020 tax refund.  He has not filed his 2020 tax return (and likely won't until October - he always files and extension) and he'll be filing as Married filing separately.  I claim both children as I have 100% custody.  

Third Stimulus came in today.  $5600 (Him, Me + 2 kids) to our Joint Account and $4200 (Me + 2 kids) to my account.  He should get his $1400 and my deposit was correct.......so know we have an additional $4200.  

What do I do?  Can we keep it and then what would we do for the 2021 tax return?  Will it be deducted from any refund we may get or we might owe?  Or do we send it back somehow?  

Also - further - the child tax credit that is supposed to start coming monthly - I'm concerned that we will get double deposits there too.......

I know it's an odd situation.....any help is appreciated!

Thank you!
Angel 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

We received WAY too much on the Third Stimulus....what do I do?

You don't need to do anything. Don't transfer or spend the extra money. The mistake will be discovered.  Leave the money in your account, the IRS or other governmental agency might withdraw it from your bank account at any time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies