Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

parmax711
Returning Member

Vested capital interest

How do you account on Profit and Loss sheets as well as Balance Sheets for the granting of $3,000. of vested capital interest in an llc business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Vested capital interest

Are you adding a member? 

You have to debit cash and credit the capital account.

parmax711
Returning Member

Vested capital interest

My question was how do you account for granting a vested capital interest of 3,000 in you books, as well as balance sheet and income statement. You replied "You have to debit cash and credit the capital account."

If you debit cash, I assume this is your checking account, then you are increasing the account, as well as increasing the capital account.  Don't you have to set up another special asset account that you increase, which would turn out to be equivalent to a "good will" account, that you could depreciate until it is used up.  If you simply debit your main cash account, I don't see how that shows up on your Profit and loss statement, and how would you reconcile your checking account, since there are no actual funds changing hands.

Vested capital interest

No, it shows up on your balance sheet. Are you not out of balance?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Vested capital interest

@parmax711

Vested Capital is typically reported as Compensation. This would be a debit to Salaries/Wages and a credit to Members Capital.

Please see this TurboTax article for more information (from the recipient's viewpoint): How to Report Vested Benefits on Your Income Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
parmax711
Returning Member

Vested capital interest

Hi. I am talking about a single member LLC, when I wanted  the vested capital, which would carry over in second year when i took on a new member.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies