KLamb317

Using HSA to pay for spouse and son's medical expenses if they're covered under a different HDHP w/ HSA

My wife and I both have health plans requiring spouse to be covered by their own employer's medical plan if they offer one. So, we each have our own HDHP and associated HSA accounts. In February we had our first child and he was added to my wife's health insurance. With all of the deductible and out of pocket max being billed to us, am I allowed to use MY HSA account to pay for their bills or am I not allowed due to them being covered by her health plan and HSA?

VictoriaD75

Yes. All eligible out-of-pocket expenses incurred by you, your spouse and your qualified dependents can be reimbursed from your HSA, even if your spouse and qualified dependents are not enrolled in your employer's health plan.

Pub 969 Tax-Favored Health Plans

VictoriaD75

Pub 969 Tax-Favored Health Plans