Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two Indirect Rollovers within 12 months

Hello all - 

I I have a question and hoping to gain an answer here. So last year, I was a little cash strapped in December and did a indirect rollover from my IRA. Meaning, I used IRA proceeds to help with the closing of my primary home. Before the 60 day deadline, I put the money back into my Traditional IRA. I filed my 2020 taxes and reported this event. 

I know we can only do ONE indirect rollover every 12 months. However, I am not sure if this is per person, per account, or per family? 

So my situation is such where I am selling a property now. I need cash to help with the fixes on the home. My wife and I both have Roth's and Traditional IRAs. The costs to fix will be expensive forcing us to consider using retirement funds briefly till we get paid and deposit the funds again. 

My question is am I eligible to do another indirect rollover, but instead of using my Traditional IRA, I use my Roth? I know I can take a return of my capital of my Roth; however, I do not want to keep the money and just need it for maybe a few weeks. Secondly, can my wife use her retirement accounts to do an indirect rollover if needed? 

The IRS website doesn't cover this and I think I need a more specific answer to my question. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Two Indirect Rollovers within 12 months

Per person - any IRA owned by that person.  IRA's are Individual.

Per IRS Pub 590A

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a#en_US_2020_publink1000230578

Application of one-rollover-per-year limitation.

You can make only one rollover from an IRA to another (or the same) IRA in any 1-year period regardless of the number of IRAs you own. The limit will apply by aggregating all of an individual's IRAs, including SEP and SIMPLE IRAs as well as traditional and Roth IRAs, effectively treating them as one IRA for purposes of the limit. However, trustee-to-trustee transfers between IRAs aren’t limited and rollovers from traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs (conversions) aren’t limited.

Example.

John has three traditional IRAs: IRA-1, IRA-2, and IRA-3. John didn’t take any distributions from his IRAs in 2020. On January 1, 2021, John took a distribution from IRA-1 and rolled it over into IRA-2 on the same day. For 2021, John can’t roll over any other 2021 IRA distribution, including a rollover distribution involving IRA-3. This wouldn’t apply to a conversion.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies