Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Third Stimulus - Wrong account again

My third stimulus was initially being deposited into my old bank account and I knew it would be returned because it is closed. Now I checked today, and it updated saying it is being deposited on March 31 again into the old, closed account. Why? It's a closed account, why try again for a 2nd time!!!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yeah they did the same thing to mine. but I think if you used the turbo tax portal to update your banking information it should get into that. even though it shows still on the IRS website your old banking information I think thats just because it was used on file when you did your taxes.

Mine was ment to be deposited yesterday but since im using a paypal cash card it might take a few days to show up on the account so ill keep you all posted

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. They will use the latest bank account information they have in your file which will be:

• Your 2020 tax return.
  • Your 2019 tax return if your 2020 return was not processed when the IRS started issuing payments.
  • Information you entered on your Non-Filer registration in 2020.
  • Information you entered on Get My Payment in 2020.
  • A federal agency that provides you benefits, such as: the Social Security Administration, Veteran Affairs or the Railroad Retirement Board.
  • Federal records of recent payments to or from the government, where available, for those without direct deposit information on file with the IRS.

If the bank account is closed, a paper check will be mailed to the last known address. 

The best thing to do would be to file the 2020 tax return as soon as possible to establish your preferred account.

See: Get My Payment Frequently Asked Questions under Bank Account.

Yeah they did the same thing to mine. but I think if you used the turbo tax portal to update your banking information it should get into that. even though it shows still on the IRS website your old banking information I think thats just because it was used on file when you did your taxes.

Mine was ment to be deposited yesterday but since im using a paypal cash card it might take a few days to show up on the account so ill keep you all posted

Did you even read my post? not an answer 

I'm hoping this is what it is. I did update it using the portal and I also filed my 2020 taxes with the new bank. It has been processed and I got my refund, but I am hoping that despite it showing my old account number, it's being sent to the new one. I'll post as well, maybe someone else is going through the same thing. 

Mine did the same thing, its just showing it as that was the account you used for your taxes. when it rejects it will try again and hopefully use your new information.

Mine went from the 17th to the 26th. and because its PayPal too if you use PayPal its 3-5 days to show up a bit of a process but fingers crossed this is the case

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies