Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amendizza

Stock Sales / Crypto Currency Sales and Unemployment

I am having a hard time find a clear answer for this question. I reside in California and I am currently unemployed and collecting unemployment benefits due to Covid and the closure of the company I worked for. I decided for the better of my immediate future to sell some of my stocks and crypto currency that I had invested in a few months prior to pay off a loan to give me some breathing room as I search for a new career. Both were for a profit and from what I understand both are considered "Capital Gains" and do not need to be reported on my weekly unemployment certification. I will have to file the proper paperwork and pay those the taxes on those gains when I file my 2021 taxes but they will not effect my currently weekly unemployment. However I see a few answers here and there online that state the sale or exchange of crypto currency is considered 'Income" and I would need to report it. Any help with this would be wonderful. I would hate to take 2 steps ahead and then down the road be thrown a curve ball and take 5 steps backwards.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies