turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stimulus check for people that receive SSI benefits

How do disabled people who don't file taxes because we receive SSI brnefits get their stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Lbtb114121

I think we are in a similar situation to you. We get Social Security retirement benefits and do not file income tax returns. Here is what we found under the IRS website, Economic Impact Statement Portal.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments
There are two columns, on the left for Income Tax Filers: and on the right for Non-Filers: 
We don't file income tax so we follow the info in the right-hand column which reads,
"Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info Here"

If you don’t file taxes, use the "Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info Here" application to provide simple information so you can get your payment.

You should use this application if:

• You did not file a 2018 or 2019 federal income tax return because your gross income was under $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples). This includes people who had no income. Or
  • You weren’t required to file a 2018 or 2019 federal income tax return for other reasons.

Do not use this application if you receive the benefits below. If you receive these benefits, we already have your information and you will receive $1,200.

• Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), survivor benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Recipients of Veterans Affairs benefits
  • Railroad Retirement and Survivor Benefits

Special note: People in these groups who have qualifying children under age 17 can use this application to claim the $500 payment per child."

Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here

I hope this helps and we are assuming that we need to take no action other than wait for our direct deposit. Does anyone know when that should be?
@Alison 
Hoodman430
Returning Member

Ssi recipients was originally told to file a simple tax return to receive stimulus payment  The IRS has now changed ssi to automatic payments what does this do to ssi recipients who already filed the simple tax return before ssi was added to the list of automatic payments?

Dear @Hoodman430,
That's a really good question. I wish I had a definitive answer for you. I can only guess at it. So here goes. 

Since you filed before the change to no filing necessary was applied, I suspect that it will not change your situation. If no one is able to give you documentation here to answer your question,  you might use Twitter or even Facebook to ask your question. 

I find that sometimes the further out I reach for answers the better. But I also experience this to be a great community for all kinds of financial and other resources.

Sincerely,
@Alison 
The Debt Free Maven  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies