Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

howhusky4302020
Returning Member

Stimulus Check for Me?

My parents filed their 2018 return and claimed me in 2018 as I was a student. I worked a short period of time in 2018 and filed my own 2018 return(I checked the box, someone else can claim you as a dependent) and received my 2018 refund through my bank account.

Now for 2019: My parents haven't filed their 2019 taxes yet and they are not going to claim me when they do file 2019.  Their stimulus check (received) was based on their 2018 return. I worked all of 2019 and as I stated earlier, my parents are not claiming me.  I filed my 2019 tax return through turbo tax on April 14, 2020. I owe IRS and I chose to pay with 1040-Voucher by mail and I will do so before July 15, 2020.  Because I owe, there is no bank account information listed on my 2019 return. 

My Concern: The IRS may have already deemed me ineligible due to my parents having claimed me in 2018 and having received their stimulus payment as I explained above. When I check the status of my stimulus payment on irs.gov,  it comes up as, "status not available". 

My Question: Will the fact that I filed my 2019 tax return trigger a sort of update to IRS and that I do qualify for a stimulus check? And if so, will they use my bank info from 2018 (claimed by parents) OR MAIL the payment based on my 2019 tax return (owe IRS/no bank info on 2019 return/not claimed by parents/no longer a student/college grad 2018)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Check for Me?

The intricate details of how the IRS will determine who is eligible for a stimulus payment when it comes to someone having been claimed as a dependent in 2018 but not in 2019 has not been made public.  Therefore, there is not a definite answer to your question.  

If you are deemed to be eligible for a stimulus payment, it may be direct deposited since they do have that information on file for you, or it may be mailed.  Again, nothing is certain when there are so many variables.  

Be aware that if you do not receive the stimulus payment during this year, then you should be able to qualify for it when you file your 2020 tax return.

My advice would be to keep a check on the  Get My Payment application for possible updates.

​​​​​​​@howhusky4302020

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus Check for Me?

I accidentally submitted the form "non-filer" in regard to the COVID relief check and now I am getting the message "we can't determine your eligibility to issue you the check".  I don't know how to withdraw/cancel it so that my check can be processed.  I have no income and I am not required to file taxes since 2007.  Please help I don't know what to ensure I receive my stimulus check.  Thank you and have a very blessed day.

Stimulus Check for Me?

I did go to the site and there is nowhere for me to do so.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Check for Me?

Based on the information you've shared, you were correct in filing the "non-filer" form. 

The IRS included this answer on their FAQ page regarding non-filers who use the non-filer tools to submit their info:

"Depending on your specific circumstances, it may not be possible for you to access Get My Payment if you usually do not file a tax return. If your identity cannot be verified when answering the required security questions, you will not be able to use Get My Payment."

It sounds like the IRS has not ironed out all the hiccups in this tool regarding the non-filers.

@talajen4me

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies