Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of rental rental property

I purchased a house in Savannah, GA 15 years ago and maintained it as a rental property the entire time.

Three years ago I refinanced it and added my daughter's name to the title (but not the loan)

I sold it last year.  The costs and profits were split equally between my daughter and myself at closing.

I was told that the capital gains and depreciation recovery for the entire 15 years need to be split equally between myself and my daughter on this year's taxes.  Is that correct?  Will I have to make a manual entry in TurboTax somewhere to reflect this, both for the depreciation and the capital gains.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Below is a link to a conversation that seems to mirror your situation.  

If only you claimed the rental income and expenses, only you would claim the "Depreciation Recapture". 

Capital Gains is another issue. 

HOW you added her matters. Was she named as a "remainder" where she would not claim any of the gain.

If as a second owner, I think technically you would claim the capital gain based on your basis (cost) up to the point where you added your daughter, then half the capital gain attributed to the last 3 years. Your daughter would then claim the remaining gain which should reflect half the gain from the time she became part owner until you sold. In this case you would need to estimate the value of the property when you added your daughter as an owner. 

One answer in the linked conversation suggest the person handling the rental claims everything. 

If still unsure, consult a local real estate attorney. 

Linked Conversation 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the quick reply.  It is very helpful.

I handled all the rental income, claimed the expenses, etc., so it makes sense that I would take care of the depreciation recapture.

I am not sure what you mean by "named as a remainder"?  I refinanced the house about 3 years and had her added to the title at that time.  At closing they split the proceeds evenly between us and provided each of us with paperwork showing an even split of the costs, etc.

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies