Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rules not working

Rules are no working for certain transactions. 

I think it is happening because of extra spaces. For some transactions, when I am in the "Edit Transaction" mode, the descriptions of the transaction has some extra spaces, for example: "PAYBRIGHT         TORONTO        ON". When I create a rule, the rule is created for "PAYBRIGHT TORONTO ON", and new transactions never gets grabbed by the rule.  

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Rules not working

This site is for TurboTax users and tax law. 

Rules not working

it's for intuit products, not just turbo tax. 

Rules not working

the rule system in Mint is pretty terribly broken.  The large majority of the transactions i make don't get categorized/processed properly.  I reported this to them over a year ago and they did nothing to fix it.

Have you looked at the same transaction with your credit card company to see if it's different?  And possibly that it would change slightly if you performed another transaction with the business?

Mint has said they don't apply rules to transactions that are unique.  Yes that means Mint wont be able to handle transactions from Walmart, Target, Amazon and countless others.  Mint can't figure out that Amazon.com*123346 is from Amazon (Yes, this is real). 

I see a lot of transactions that come in where they look painfully simple.  Apple.com/Bill for example.  And I'm like "how can you not figure this out?"

But when I look at a gas station transaction I can see that somehow, the rule changes between Mint and the credit card.  Typically the address gets changed/obscured.

So my theory for you is that the rule is unique and somehow, the uniqueness was removed and so it looks broken, but it's not.  It's just painfully stupid because Mint doesn't use machine learning. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies