turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Required Minimum Dispersements

I failed to compete my total 2018 RMD requirement on time.  I made the delinquent withdrawal on January 4, 2019 and filed a 5329 requesting a waiver with my 2018 filing.  Since the 2018 delinquent amount was actually completed in 2019, can that withdrawal be used to satisfy any of my 2019 requirement?  I assume the answer is No, but I need to verify it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your assumption is correct. The answer is No. The delinquent withdrawal satisfied your 2018 RMD requirement. You cannot use the same withdrawal to also satisfy your 2019 RMD requirement.

Note that all withdrawals are reported as income in the year that the withdrawal is made, so your RMDs for both 2018 and 2019 will be reported as income on your 2019 tax return. The Form 1099-R that you get from the custodian for 2019 will include all the withdrawals that you made in 2019, even though one of the withdrawals was to satisfy your 2018 RMD requirement.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your assumption is correct. The answer is No. The delinquent withdrawal satisfied your 2018 RMD requirement. You cannot use the same withdrawal to also satisfy your 2019 RMD requirement.

Note that all withdrawals are reported as income in the year that the withdrawal is made, so your RMDs for both 2018 and 2019 will be reported as income on your 2019 tax return. The Form 1099-R that you get from the custodian for 2019 will include all the withdrawals that you made in 2019, even though one of the withdrawals was to satisfy your 2018 RMD requirement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies