Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

Thank you for posting this here. I mentioned this on Reddit to others. A bunch of us became ineligible because of this same thing. When contacting the IRS, they claim that you are not eligible because someone claimed you as a dependent. When pushed further, they finally admitted there is a glitch but dont know how to fix it. All they tell you is to call again in a couple weeks to see if they have a fix or received instructions on how to fix it manually.

One IRS agent claimed that if the box is checked for either person, then both are disqualified for the Stimulus Check. Chances are this will not be fixed this year and we will not be eligible for the second check either.

When its time to file our 2020 taxes, that is when we would get it. Unfortunately, for some it will be a little too late as they need the money now.

If this is a screw up on TurboTax's part and since they can confirm eligibility, they should fix this or upfront the money. When its time to file taxes, they can get it then from the IRS.  

Wow, this is horrible. That is the first I have heard of this happening. Did you file as Head of Household or something?

Wonder if a potential class action would spark Intuit to work on fixing this issue.

Looks to me like TurboTax owes us an advanced credit. When we file our 2020 taxes, they can get the money then. They need to make this right.

From what I know so far, we might get screwed again. However, I did hear that this time some dependent's may be eligible.

Or maybe legal counsel. Would Turbotax prefer to fix this now or have it potentially lead to a class action lawsuit. What will cost more?

Following this because if a class action is started, I want in. 

Turbotax screwed me. I will never use this software again and I am warning every single one of my friends about this and the fact they refuse to own up and fix their mistake.  When filing originally for 2018 before COVID even existed it kept checking that box and I ASKED a chat rep and they said it was nothing to worry about if nobody was claiming my spouse as a dependent and that its just the standard deduction because I was worried about accidentally messing up something for my now ex husbands taxes. And now I can't get my stimulus and from what others have said even if I amend it the IRS isn't going to let me claim it even next year. 

Next step is the BBB to report this. 

LoganA89

This is definitely TurboTax's fault. I won't be using their services again. I know it's their fault bc 2018 I filed MFS, **bleep** box was checked. 2019 I filed Single, **bleep** box was still checked! I ain't getting squat!

This also happened to me. A box was checked stating my spouse could be counted as a dependent. Neither of us have received our stimulus.  I called turbo tax and while the Customer Service rep was nice, we were not able to locate a way to fix this checked box error through the turbo tax amend tool. I was provided with IRS contacts who advised I would not receive my stimulus and will instead need to claim it on my 2020 taxes. I am not happy. 

edit: The customer service rep also initially suggested I amend my return and change my filing status to single rather than married filing separately (I was married until January 2020 so that would be incorrect) That’s a whole other problem. 

As this seems to be a very disturbing occurrence for many and Turbo Tax is currently doing nothing about it, I think we should look into forming a class action lawsuit against them. At this point this might be the best option. 

For anybody experiencing this same issue I recommend calling Turbo Tax at [phone number removed] and demanding to speak with the resolution team. I just spoke with them and they tried to deny there being an issue on TurboTax's end. They told me there hasn't been enough complaints but they are starting to investigate. When speaking to a representative refer to my case number [social security number removed]. Let's collectively threaten a class-action lawsuit if they don't front us our stimulus money while they resolve THEIR issue they created.

As Turbo Tax is trying to block us from communicating about this by not letting me input numbers in this form I'll try and spell them out here referring to the previous post.

PII Removed

I like what you are thinking but fear that we will be blocked off at the front gate. Not to mention that people threaten class action lawsuits on the daily for some businesses. 

In my opinion, the first step would be to get some reporter or media (social media) to pick up on the story. Once picked up, it sets the foundation for us to get this resolved for move to a potential class action lawsuit.

Just my two cents.

mb1-5

Class action lawsuit will be the only way to recover. I have already contacted my representatives and a law firm.  I do not see any way to amend the return to fix TurboTax's error. 

There is a way to amend it but the IRS is saying we won’t get our checks even if we do amend it. We have to claim it on next year’s tax return. We need the money now though. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies