turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

I had the same thing happen to me - the "someone can claim my spouse as a dependent" box was checked when it shouldn't have been.  This prevented me from getting a stimulus check (though not my spouse), and my kids are claimed under my name (my husband and I file separately), so I received zero money for them either.  TURBOTAX - this seems like a mistake on your part, some sort of glitch in your system!  We can do our best to amend our tax returns, but I think a company with your credibility (and voice!) needs to speak up to the IRS and let them know that this error has unfairly left many of us without stimulus money.  The IRS isn't listening to the individuals contacting them here and there (I've also been told by an IRS rep that "it doesn't make sense," "there's nothing we can do," and "you can try to claim it on the 2020 taxes, but there's no promise that you'll get it").  There's a good chance that they will listen to YOU!  

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

@Bethanyt84

You have the option of amending your 2019 return versus waiting to claim the stimulus on your 2020 return. 

Once you are certain that your return has been filed and accepted, read on for instructions on how to amend:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
    • If you only see the option to amend 2018 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2019 return. Instead, just select Pick up where you left off, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments can't be e-filed.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I agree! Let's stay on Turbo Tax about this! So unfair that they haven't responded yet! I amended my taxes but it will take months for anything to happen I'm sure. If it doesn't go through by the beginning of 2021 supposedly we can submit a 'credit recovery' when filling 2020's taxes. IRS and Turbo Tax really dropped the ball here and now we are deprived of our much needed stimulus! 

@GiseleD 

Thanks for your reply.  I did amend my 2018 tax return just this week after learning of all of this (my 2019 tax return did not have this box checked, but the IRS used my 2018 taxes for eligibility), but I'm out of options for the time being.  Now I've been told to wait until I file my 2020 taxes and hope they reconsider their decision.  However, in speaking with the IRS, they told me that they won't be reversing their decisions regarding eligibility, but will only be considering new information (e.g., I had a baby in 2018, which would be reflected on my 2019 taxes, not my 2018 taxes and I should therefore be getting stimulus money for 2 kids instead of 1).  It's helpful that you guys are replying to us in this forum, but I think TurboTax should speak up on this to the IRS.    

My 1040 shows the box checked as well, and I'm not even married.

With how many people seem to be having this issue, I really don't think it's something we did, but a software problem.  If you go through the process there isn't a single question that asks anything about a spouse being claimed.  I filed as single.  It only asks me if I personally can be claimed as a dependent.  If there's never even a question about it, then it wasn't me that screwed up. 

Very upset at TurboTax over this.  And I can't even ask them about it unless I pay $30 and upgrade to a paid version.

This doesn't work.

The box about a spouse being claimed is mistakenly checked on my 1040, but I'm not even married.  I filed as single.  And because I filed as single, your system never asks me if my spouse can be claimed.  It only asks if I can be claimed and I answered no.

If your system doesn't ask the question then there's no way to uncheck the box.

needvacay

Hi,

I also had the same box " your spouse can be claimed as a dependent" mysteriously checked on my 2018 taxes filed with Turbo Tax.  I file as Head of Household & my former spouse is not listed on my taxes.  It seems to be a Turbo Tax glitch for sure.    Can I skip amending my 2018 taxes and just claim the stimulus on my 2020 return or will I be required to amend the 2018 in order to received the $1200 stimulus payment as a credit on my 2020 return?  My 2019 taxes were filed correctly -- not done through Turbo Tax!! Not sure why the stimulus payment wasn't based on my 2019 taxes anyway..   Thanks for any and all help!  

Wow add me to the list of people screwed over by this glitch from Turbo Tax! My wife and I filed separately and were patiently waiting for our stimulus check. Finally decided to call the IRS and got the same message as everyone here, someone is claiming me as a dependent. That would be my wife and vise versa. It didn't make sense to me because we are in our 30's, how can we be claimed as a dependent. I would never check that box My wife planned to claim our 1 year old daughter.

Turbo Tax really needs to answer for this because so many people are complaining about this. The IRS rep told me this cannot be changed this year either. Bad enough we all have to deal with Covid, social distancing, and no work. Now we can't even get what's rightfully ours in the form of a stimulus check. This is so frustrating!

I really hope there is a way to recoup this money. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus payments will be based on information from your most recent tax filings, either 2019, or 2018 if you haven't filed this season yet. But, the amount paid to you now will be reconciled on next year’s tax return based on your current 2020 situation.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will it generate in time to get the 2nd check? If that even happens.

Unfortunately this same thing happened to me (thanks to Turbo tax). I just got off the phone with the IRS - they told me I will not be receiving a stimuls check as a result, even if I tried to amend my tax return. I was told I can claim it on next years taxes.  Most likely I'll be using an actual tax prep company in the future. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like we will get screwed twice with another round of stimulus coming up.

I seriously doubt we see any of this stimulus help on next year's return. Too much dysfunction and unclarity at IRS. How will we even explain this on the 2020 return? 

If anyone finds out anything about our status regarding the 2nd round of stimulus feel free to share. Sounds like they are just going to copy round 1 of Stimulus with no changes - meaning we get left out again.

Agreed. TURBOTAX screwed this up for us and THEY should fix it, now. I needed this money desperately, and still do. I lost my job. TurboTax should do something but they didn’t even NOTIFY us of the error. TurboTax is terrible. Everybody go watch the show The Patriot Act on Netflix, where they talk about how terrible this company is. I need my stimulus check NOW not in 7 months!!!

TurboTax,

It's disgraceful to have you watch all of us comment on here and just respond with "it'll be taken care of when you do your 2020 taxes."  YOUR mistake will be taken care of with our 2020 taxes (we hope).  As you can see, there are people on this thread who desperately need these stimulus checks to make it to next month, not next year.  Allow me to clue you into something: this is a "do the right thing" moment.  Contact the IRS, own up to your mistake, and fix it for us please.  

Otherwise, we should all be writing our Congressional representatives to let them know that this situation even exists.  

I just called TurboTax and they said it was MY error. That I had to have selected that. No, that's not true. And many people here have had the same issue. TurboTax messed up and are blaming the users. I wouldn't have said that my wife can be claimed as a dependent. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies