Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military vs ITIN vs Stimulus

I’m Active Duty Military. My spouse is a US citizen by naturalization with a SSN dating back 5 years. We electronically file our taxes jointly each year using TuboTax and receive our return via direct deposit. Each year, I manually update her SSN on the 1040, but our 1040 always reflects her old ITIN instead of her SSN once filed. We qualify for the stimulus, but I believe we have not received payment because of her ITIN reflecting on the 1040.

How can we recoup our stimulus payment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

there is a special qualification for military; you should be fine

IRS FAQ:

A1.  You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return;
  • Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is valid for employment (valid SSN); and
    • Exception: If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, then only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN
  • Have adjusted gross income below an amount based on your filing status and the number of your qualifying children.

did you check the portal for status? 

Check the IRS website for status of the stimulus payment and update your bank information if necessary.

AGI is line 7 on your 2018 return and line 8B on your 2019 return.  Refund is line 21a of the 2019 tax return. and line 20a for 2018

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

NCperson, thanks for the reply! My AGI is well below the $150K limit. Unfortunately, I get the “Payment Status Not Available” every time I use the IRS “Get My Payment” tool—to include their most recent system update—so I can’t get in to verify my banking info.

@mea0330  IRS FAQ:

Payment Status Not Available – We cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. For example, this could mean:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
  • You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
  • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

@NCpersonthanks for the reply. I’ve read every question on the IRS EIP FAQ page. I’m aware of the stipulations, but I do not fall into any of those categories.

1. IRS finished processing my return in January—I already received my 2019 return via direct deposit.

2. Based on this, I would assume the application would have my data.

3. I always file a return; married filing jointly. Have for years. Did not use “Non-filers”.

4. I do not receive SAA or RRB.

5. Based on stimulus qualification requirements, I am eligible for a payment.

- Both my spouse and I are US citizens with valid SSNs/TurboTax automatically used her old ITIN when filing

- AGI is less than $150K for married filing jointly.

- AD military all year

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

"Payment status not available" doesn't indicate that you do not qualify.   It simply indicates that the IRS hasn't yet gotten to you in the processing order yet.  The IRS is still going through data for millions of taxpayers and will be continuing this process throughout the remainder of the year.  

As NCPerson pointed out, since you are active duty military even if the ITIN is what is on record for your spouse you are still entitled to a payment.  It could be the source of a delay, but it won't prevent you from receiving your payment.

In the worst case scnerio, you will claim the payment as a credit on your 2020 tax return but I do not think it will come to that for you - I think it is just likely that  the system hasn't yet gotten to you on the list. 

@mea0330

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies