turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Land value for depreciation

If I bought a property with the intention of renting it and completed renovated it, do I subtract out the land value rate when first purchased (2018) or after the renovations are complete and the house is ready and available to be rented (2019)?  Note:  The building value was less than the land value when first purchased and the assessment was very low.  After the entire house was renovated, the assessment went up significantly and the building value is much higher than the land value.  I'm trying to determine the basis of the house to depreciate but am not sure at which point in time to use land value to get my net basis: 2018 value or 2019 value?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Land value for depreciation

You should allocate the land purchase price based on the purchase price when you purchased the property.

Renovations to the building are capitalized and depreciated, land is not.

Also, appreciation in land value is not part of purchase price or basis.  It is unrealized gain.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies