turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hegreer3

IRA withdrawal to provide a loan

I am retired and I am considering pulling money from my IRA to provide a personal loan to a family member. Is my income from the IRA just considered normal income or can it be treated differently when used in this way. 

Please, no comments on why this may be a bad idea. I will do my on due diligence and analysis to determine if it works for me in worse case scenario.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You can do anything you want with the money distributed for an IRA.   If this is a Traditional IRA then it is taxed as ordinary income at your margional tax rate and if under age 59 1/2 there will be an additional 10% penalty.    If yiur marginal tax rate is 24%   and you are under 59 1/2 then you would probably want to have about 34% withheld for tax or pay estimated tax from other funds instead so you are not hit with an underpayment penalty of tax withholding.

You said a loan - you cannot take a loan form an IRA unless you roll it back within 60 days of the distribution, in case you were thinking that you could replace the money when the loan was paid back.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you. That is what I figured. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies