turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Frank3156

Debt deduction

I have a personal debt owed to me.  The borrower filed and had a bankruptcy completed in 2019.  Is there any option to me to claim this uncollectable debt as a deduction on my tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Debt deduction

Maybe...here is a link to IRS Topic No. 453 Bad Debt Deduction.  First, unless you are in the business of lending money, the most likely treatment of this is a nonbusiness bad debt...you state the debt is personal...so that seems to make this a nonbusiness bad debt.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc453

There are a couple of links on the page, one of which leads to Publication 550, which should have a discussion about what constitutes a valid debt.

This is a direct quote from the first paragraph of the Topic No. 453 discussion.

"For a bad debt, you must show that at the time of the transaction you intended to make a loan and not a gift. If you lend money to a relative or friend with the understanding the relative or friend may not repay it, you must consider it as a gift and not as a loan, and you may not deduct it as a bad debt."

Link to Publication 550

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf

read page 54 under Nonbusiness Bad Debts.

Also, you don't state if the borrower is/was related to you.  That makes a difference.  Be sure to read about related party transactions.  Most times, related party transactions are not deductible.

I hope that helps.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies