turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Coronavirus direct deposit when I owed and electronically filed

Hey all - last year I filed on line and I owed the IRS.  I elected to have them take what I owed directly from my checking account. They already took the money.

So I did not get a refund but obviously they have my banking information that they took the money out of.

I'll ask it anyway, will they use the same information to make the direct deposit?  Reason I ask is because because I owed, the 1040 form has XXXXX for both the routing and account number and that is on the copy to be filed that I have. Thjis all went electronic and like I said I entered a form so they could electronically take the money.  Just want to see if anyone else in that boat and knows for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

They will use the bank information that is associated with your 2018 tax return if you have not filed for 2019, if you filed for 2019, they will use that information. The bank account and routing numbers are XXXX's out to protect your bank information.

Hope this helps!

Alicia-B
Employee Finance Expert

Yes, will they use the same information to make the direct deposit. You are all set. 

We’re in the same position. We direct pay because we don’t qualify for a refund. We also no longer use Intuit, sorry guys, but we did direct pay from the other service we now use when filling this year and last. I’ve been told that there IRS doesn’t retain the info taken for direct pay from your checking account like it does when you’ll be receiving a direct deposit. 

Alicia-B
Employee Finance Expert

I have seen no such distinction on the IRS website. As per the IRS: "The vast majority of people do not need to take any action....The economic impact payment will be deposited directly into the same banking account reflected on the return filed." 

So, as per the information we currently know, it seems that if there is a bank account # and routing # on the tax return (regardless of pay or refund) that is the information they will use to make a direct deposit. 

You can find the latest information from the IRS at: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments

I did already read through the covid info on the IRS webpage. I just couldn’t find anything regarding, specifically, people who who don’t receive a refund but do direct pay. Thank you for your answer. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you had a balance due this year, the IRS will mail a paper stimulus check to the address on your 2019 return, unless you were sent a refund by direct deposit in 2018, in which case your stimulus payment will be sent to that account. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies