turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I only pay my principle on my car note and not be penalized?

I pay a little over $300 a month and in 10 months I've only contributed $500 towards the loan amount...>:-[

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

77 Replies
Carl
Level 15

You'll have to talk with the lender about that, as it depends on the terms of your loan. I seriously doubt however, the lender will do that. But if your payments are only $300 a month, if you pay more than that each month the  additional amount will reduce the principle by that additional amount, resulting in less of each payment going towards the interest, more going towards the principle, and you'll pay off the loan that much faster and sooner.

HurricaneWray
Returning Member

In my personal experience, you are required to make the minimum monthly payment that contributes to the interest and principal balance. When making payments, there have been options to make additional payments towards the principal only. That will reduce your overall balance and reduce the overall interest you pay over time.

Can i

Short answer is no. Loans are amortized in a way that at the beginning of the loan you are paying mostly interest and at the end you are paying mostly principle. That is why you haven’t paid much down on the principle. Say your loan is a 6 year loan. At 3 years in, half of you payment will go to principle and the other half toward interest. The first year years more interest than principle and the second 3 years more principle than interest. Think of the letter X on a graph where the top left line is interest and the bottom left line is principle.
Carl
Level 15

I had a 30 year mortgage on one of my rental properties that I purchased in 2002. By adding $100 a month to each payment I paid off this property in less than 15 years. Now there is a formula one can use in an Excel spreadsheet that allows you to "plug in" values such as payment period, amount, interest rate and loan term. It will show you how long it will take to pay off a mortgage by changing the monthly payment (or whatever the payment period is, if not monthly.)

Now on the attached Excel spreadsheet I've set it up for monthly payments using the same formula that banks use to figure interest rate based on your outstanding balance each month.. In the first line of figure (line 3 on the attached) you can change the figures in columns A, B and C of row 3 with whatever your loan amount is, the monthly payment, and the Interest rate. You can change your monthly payment to see what difference it will make on your time to pay off the loan.  The items you can change are in bold print. The sheet is password protected so that you can only change the variables and not accidentally mess up the formula. But if you want to play with it, I've set the password on this uploaded copy to "password" (without the quotation marks) so you can unprotect it if desired.

mkyiela

Carl, can you please email me the link? [email address removed]
kigwena

U don't know what you talking about. You can pay towards the principal anytime, still paying your monthly payments as required. Paying towards your principal will help you pay your car note faster. I used to sell cars.
Carl
Level 15

When you make a car payment (or almost any type of loan payment) the first thing that payment is applied to is the interest due with that payment. Next, if the payment is late then any late fees, fines or penalties are subtracted from the payment. Then what is left is applied to the principle. So if your car payment is $300 a month and you want to pay $400 you can most certainly do that. Doing so will knock down your principle an additional $100 for that month.

But No, you can not pay *ONLY* the principle. In some situations you can pay only the interest. But unless you've got some kind of weird loan agreement (which would not be provided by a legitimate lender) you can not pay *ONLY* the principle.

I've helped friends in situations where they could not make a mortgage payment one month. So we called the bank prior to the due date of the payment and they allowed payment of interest only for that month and just tacked an additional payment on the end of the 360 month loan. This allowed the borrower to get through a rough month (major car repairs) and still keep their credit and payment history intact.

"U don't know what you talking about."

Selling cars does not mean one understands how loans work. Loans can be set up many ways, and in a fair number of cases conditions of the loans can be altered when doing so is favorable to the lender first, and the borrower second. Additionally, personal attacks in this public forum are uncalled for and serve no purpose. That's what facebook is for.

I would be very interested in this formula for excel.
Carl
Level 15

Only images are allowed to be posted as an attachment to posts in this forum. So I can't attach the excel document. Additionally, you can't post e-mail addresses on the public side either. So if you'll send me your e-mail in a private message on this board, I'll be happy to e-mail the document.

1208dhadyway
Returning Member

Hello
Your spreadsheet sounds like it can really be helpful. Can you share with me?
Irvincabrera18
Returning Member

I need to buy one car

What Insurance is this

Yes Can You Email Me ?
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies