turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Attention TurboTax: Potential Class Action Lawsuit (Someone Else Can Claim: Spouse as Dependent)

Attention TurboTax Support. You claimed to have fixed this issue last year. Well, it happened again in 2020. This glitch continues to carry over. Refer to your own link for details.

Spouse claimed as a dependent box checked on 2019 ... (intuit.com)

I did not check the box nor did the TurboTax software ask this question. Nonetheless, shame on me for using TurboTax again and for failing to review the final form to make sure that your software did not encounter the same glitch again.

Just like last time, I was made ineligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit because the box was checked on my 1040. This was confirmed by several IRS agents when I called last year to find out why I did not get the stimulus checks. Most recently the IRS confirmed this again (several times) when I called after the Recovery Rebate Credit was adjusted out of my refund. This same glitch likely will prevent me from getting the third stimulus check as well. 

Below are news stories that covered this glitch and how it affected our returns.

Some TurboTax Users Say A Single Checked Box Kept Them From Getting A Stimulus Check (forbes.com)

Some TurboTax Users Say A Single Checked Box Kept Them From Getting A Stimulus Check – THE NEWS BEYO...

Stimulus Checks: TurboTax Users Blame Simple Error for Never Receiving Relief Payments (popculture.c...

Glitch Causing Box To Be Checked On Tax Return Keeping Some From Receiving Stimulus Payment – CBS Da...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Attention TurboTax: Potential Class Action Lawsuit (Someone Else Can Claim: Spouse as Dependent)

Not a single response yet. I need someone at either TurboTax or the IRS to fix this issue. I have tried numerous times with the IRS and due to them being overwhelmed, they ignore me.

TurboTax (Intuit), I urge you to act promptly before this becomes a bigger problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies