Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problem with stimulus listing on my tax form

In TurboTax as I was doing 2020 taxes, it showed what I got for first round and second round stimulus checks. It asked if the numbers were correct and I said yes.  When I got my refund I was shorted $600 because somehow 600 ended up in line 30. I didn't enter line 30 - turbotax did it for me. So I don't know how it got there. Operator error or problem in TurboTax? I am a dumb user, I only answer the questions asked by the program. I don't attempt to do the numbers on the form. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

We are working with the IRS regarding how to correct returns due to new implications of the American Rescue Plan, and the stimulus will be addressed as well.  Please refer to these articles:   

How will the third stimulus impact me? 

What if I already filed my 2020 taxes?

Here is a TurboTax article about the American Rescue Plan

Does this mean that I will get that $600 back?

Thanks.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The $600 in line thirty of form 1040 was the second stimulus payment of $600 that you were probably entitled to. 

The first stimulus amount was $1,200 for an individual and the second one was $600. If you received both of those payments, then you shouldn't receive another one when you filed your tax return, so the $600 should not have been on line 30.

If you didn't receive the $600 before you filed your tax return, then it should still be due you and you will probably get it later on.

You call the IRS at 1-800-919-9835 or use the following link to check on your stimulus payments:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When filling out my tax return in TurboTax, I was asked if I received the $600 for each family member (and we had at the very end of 2019 - two adults and one child).

The IRS told me that because I had $600 in line 30, I would not get the $600. However, I did not put the $600 in line 30, TurboTax did.  I am not sure what I did to put the $600 in line 30. 

How can I get these funds returned to me? Do I need to file an amended return?

Thanks,

Jennifer

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1. Whether the funds can be returned to you depends if you are eligible for them. First, check what you are eligible to receive

2. Since the Recovery Rebate Credit was included in the return, then the IRS will automatically make calculation corrections to what is posted to Form 1040, page 2, Line 30.

• It is unclear
    • how many dependents were claimed in 2020,
    • why the IRS recalculated your Credit, and
    • what the correct stimulus payment should be for your family. 
    • how the stimulus section in TurboTax was answered

Refiling the same return or only correcting the credit would lead to the same result without providing more details to the IRS. 

@jrumford44

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies