Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-filers TurboTax Stimulus Registration preventing someone else from claiming my dependent

I filed with TurboTax Stimulus Registration, as a non-filer, and still didn't get the money for my own dependent for the stimulus. I didn't make any money in 2019, and just did the turbotax registration for the stimulus money. I let my dad claim my dependent for 2018 and was going to let him claim her for 2019. When I submit his return it is getting rejected because it says someone else is using her social security number on a 2019 return (which I am assuming was me when I registered for the stimulus with TurboTax). I didn't use her as a dependent for a child tax credit or deduction for 2019 so why can't my dad claim her on his return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Non-filers TurboTax Stimulus Registration preventing someone else from claiming my dependent

I reread your original post again.

Did you file a full  tax return yourself in 2019? 

if yes, then why did you file at the non-filer website? 

if no, then you've already claimed this child on the non-filer form which is why your father can not claim the child. 

am I missing something?

normally, only one person can claim a child.  Who is providing more than 50% of the child's support. typically that is a critical factor in determining who CAN claim the child. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

@opey623mi - look at the simple non-filer form you filled out.  Are there children listed in the middle of the form? if yes, look ALL THE WAY to the right, which box is checked? "child tax credit" or "other dependent tax credit"

let me know and we can go from there 

It does say that Tax credit is checked, although I didn't a tax credit and didn't realize that it was checked.

please be more precise...which box is checked.. the left one or the right one....they are both 'tax credit' 

The left one that says child tax credit

I reread your original post again.

Did you file a full  tax return yourself in 2019? 

if yes, then why did you file at the non-filer website? 

if no, then you've already claimed this child on the non-filer form which is why your father can not claim the child. 

am I missing something?

normally, only one person can claim a child.  Who is providing more than 50% of the child's support. typically that is a critical factor in determining who CAN claim the child. 

I did not file a full return. I filed because I did not file last year and wanted to update my direct deposit information in order to get the stimulus money. I did get the stimulus, but I did not have any income therefore I was not required to file, nor did I use my dependent to claim the child tax credit, or a child deduction, or eic. So I am not sure why this stimulus registration would be preventing someone from claiming her on this year's return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies