Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Next step if my name was used to file wages fraudulently.

Quick version, I have found out that someone has been claiming roughly 50k a year in income under my name in Washington state where I live, for the last 2 years (roughly 9 to 10 quarters now).

The first disruption came when I applied for food assistance through the state after a time of financial hardship. I want to say that it was about 2 years ago. Initially I was denied for having too high of income. After sifting through the obviously fake income and my true income, I asked the employee who was helping me if there was action she could take to stop this from continuing. The employee genuinely left a note, and some type of notification (I presume) on my account to alert further activity. Well I guess once you apply and get your benefits, that's the last anyone looks at your account unless benefits are applied for again. During this time I have been out of work (waiter/bartender), and have had zero capability of receiving unemployment due to my bringing to their attention the obviously fraudulently claimed income.

Honesty earned my nothing to speak of financially, but I am a survivor and will figure things out. Moving forward though, how do I find out the depth of my information that was stolen, or used, for this false wage claim? Then how do I rectify it, and protect myself going forward?

Also, not sure if it is important to note, my federal tax return filing through turbo tax, and my stimulus check eligibility review did not include anything of these false wages.

Any information or just pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Next step if my name was used to file wages fraudulently.

See:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft

Contact the three major credit bureaus and lock your accounts.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies