Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New 2021 W4

My boyfriend filled out the new w4 form 2021. 
we have never had to pay federal before. But currently it is saying he would owe over $1400! And he also has an extra $15 taken out weekly. 
I ‘think’ the problem is that he is listed as head of household with two exemptions. But I think the deduction portion may have been entered incorrectly. (The office lady does everything without any HR/payroll training ) so I think it is for my daughter plus me. But he cannot claim me. 
What is the best option to have on the new W 4 to not owe taxes? 
more is there a way to go back to the old w4.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

New 2021 W4

Since he can't claim you, he should remove that exemption. You say, "your daughter", but is she also his daughter. If not, he needs to claim single, with zero or one exemption, just for himself.

New 2021 W4

Yes. His daughter as well.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

New 2021 W4

Then he can still claim Head of Household and claim her. Since an insufficient amount was withheld, he can back off some of these exemptions.

Checking Your Withholding After you have given your employer a Form W-4, you can check to see whether the amount of tax withheld from your pay is too little or too much. If too much or too little tax is being withheld, you should give your employer a new Form W-4 to change your withholding. You should try to have your withholding match your actual tax liability. If not enough tax is withheld, you will owe tax at the end of the year and may have to pay interest and a penalty. If too much tax is withheld, you will lose the use of that money until you get your refund. Always check your withholding if there are personal or financial changes in your life or changes in the law that might change your tax liability. PUB 17

Here is a complete explanation of how W-4 works: W-4.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies