Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medicare and HSA 6-month issue

Currently in Initial Enrollment Period for Medicare, I will not start Medicare till 2023 or 2024. I am covered under my wife's health insurance from her work. She has "qualified" insurance, HDHP and HSA. She contributed full amount for the year 2022 as a family. 

Can we in the year we decide to turn on Medicare and Social Security for me:

Have my wife continue with her HDHP & HSA at the self-contribution level starting Jan 2023 or 2024.

I would continue to be covered under her HDHP from Jan till Jun of that year, then turn on Medicare (as Special Enrollment Period) and turn on Social Security July of 2023 or 2024. Will this create a problem for IRS with the "No HSA Contribution" for the 6 months prior to starting Medicare?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Medicare and HSA 6-month issue

"Currently in Initial Enrollment Period for Medicare, I will not start Medicare till 2023 or 2024." - What does this mean? Are you enrolling in Medicare now or not?

Note that if you enroll in Medicare more than 6 months after your 65th birthday, then the Social Security Administration back dates your coverage by 6 months. In such as situation, your Medicare coverage begins at the backdated date. Thus if you apply for Medicare in January 2023, and you are more than 65 1/2 years old, then the SSA will backdate your coverage to July 2022, which means you have to account for this in determining your 2020 HSA contribution limit.

I don't understand your exact dates so see if you can apply what U just said to your situation.

NOTE: don't worry about which months the actual contributions are in; instead worry about how you calculate the annual HSA contribution limit. TurboTax, of course, will do this for you when you enter the data on the return, but you, of course, want to know what the limit is before the year begins (which is why you are asking)..So, pick a date in which you will enroll in Medicare (on the first of a month), then backdate it 6 months (if you are beyond 65 1/2) to determine which months that you have only your spouse's HDHP coverage and no conflicting Medicare coverage.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies