Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medicare and contributions to HSA

My husband is enrolled in an HSA with family coverage.  He makes contributions to the maximum for family coverage.  His employer (with more than 20 employees) makes contributions to this account on his AND my behalf.  I do not work but am now 66.  My understanding is that I cannot enroll in either part A or B of Medicare as long as my husband and his employer continue to make these contributions.  If his employer did not make the contributions to his account on my behalf only, does that change the answer?  Meaning, could he still max out on family coverage and receive the additional amount of employer contribution for only his behalf if I then enroll in either Medicare part A or B?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

it's not that you "can't" enroll in A or B, it's the other way around.  

first, you are automatically enroll in A at age 65.  there is no premium paid. 

for B, you are allowed to defer enrolling if you continue to have private coverage, which appears that you do. 

your decision to enroll in B has nothing to do with whether or not your husband has an HSA.  The decision has to do with whether there is private insurance.  But if you decide to enroll in B, hubby can not use you for 'family coverage'...he is probably back to 'single' 

suggest calling your state 'ship' organization which is a volenteer network that can explain all this to you.  Google "medicare ship" and then add your state to the google search, 

remember, when you finally enroll in B, the money in the HSA can be used to pay the premiums for B.  A sweet deal!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

it's not that you "can't" enroll in A or B, it's the other way around.  

first, you are automatically enroll in A at age 65.  there is no premium paid. 

for B, you are allowed to defer enrolling if you continue to have private coverage, which appears that you do. 

your decision to enroll in B has nothing to do with whether or not your husband has an HSA.  The decision has to do with whether there is private insurance.  But if you decide to enroll in B, hubby can not use you for 'family coverage'...he is probably back to 'single' 

suggest calling your state 'ship' organization which is a volenteer network that can explain all this to you.  Google "medicare ship" and then add your state to the google search, 

remember, when you finally enroll in B, the money in the HSA can be used to pay the premiums for B.  A sweet deal!

Thanks so much!  I will definitely google the medicare ship as you suggested.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies