Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

J1Zee

Medicaid Eligibility and IRA's

Does anyone know how taking witrhdrawals from an IRA will affect Medicaid eligibility?  My parents currently have Medicaid, buy if they decide to take distributions or withdrawal from their IRA, they would go over the income limit.  Question is, can they take out just enough money so that it is offset by the standard deduction and still qualify for Medicaid?  I know eligilibility varies from state to state, so anyone familiar with NY would be helpful.

To get into more specifics, they are 65 and get a combined ~ $1400 in social security a month.  That's their only source of income currently.  The combined value of their retirement accounts is about $300,000.  If they take withdrawals from their IRA that is less than the standard deduction of $24,800, will that still make them eligible?  Or would that withdrawal still count in determining Medicaid eligibility?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Medicaid Eligibility and IRA's

@J1Zee wrote:

Does anyone know how taking witrhdrawals from an IRA will affect Medicaid eligibility?  My parents currently have Medicaid, buy if they decide to take distributions or withdrawal from their IRA, they would go over the income limit.  Question is, can they take out just enough money so that it is offset by the standard deduction and still qualify for Medicaid?  I know eligilibility varies from state to state, so anyone familiar with NY would be helpful.

To get into more specifics, they are 65 and get a combined ~ $1400 in social security a month.  That's their only source of income currently.  The combined value of their retirement accounts is about $300,000.  If they take withdrawals from their IRA that is less than the standard deduction of $24,800, will that still make them eligible?  Or would that withdrawal still count in determining Medicaid eligibility?

Thanks.

IRA distributions are taxable income.   Medicaid is administrated by the State and rules differ with different states.   That is not a tax question and should be asked to the state medicaid agency.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies