turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loan to a LLC that was disolved

How do I record a loan I made to a LLC that was dissolved with no money or assets to pay back the loan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Loan to a LLC that was disolved

Generally, there are two kinds of bad debts.  Business and non-business.  Here is a link to Topic No. 453, Bad Debt Deduction on the IRS website.  I suggest looking at that topic and the related links.  Your question lacks some specifics to make a determination as to whether this would be a business or non-business bad debt.  My first impression is that you are/were an LLC member that loaned the LLC money.  Depending on further relationship, duties, etc.,etc., I would also have an initial impression this would be a nonbusiness bad debt, which would be deductible as a short term capital loss.

But, please review the topic and related links for further and more detailed information that will fit your circumstances.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc453

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies