Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

veryconfusedperson
Returning Member

I recieved a stimulus check for elderly dependent and he got his own

On the third round of stimulus checks my dad was eligible for the $1400 even though we claim him as an adult dependent. He still has his own bank account because he gets retirement. A couple months later I noticed he got his own stimulus. Should I send his back and where would I even send it back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I recieved a stimulus check for elderly dependent and he got his own

If he got a third stimulus check, in addition to the one you received on his behalf, and he had no change in circumstance, then you should send the money back to the IRS. A change in circumstance in which this could happen would be if the IRS based the third stimulus payment on your 2019 return (when he was a dependent) and then in 2020, his circumstances changed and filed a return indicating that he could not be claimed as a dependent.  In this case, you would not have to send back the third stimulus payment. However, if he was still your dependent in 2020, then this payment was made in error. 

As per the IRS, in order to return the third stimulus payment, please follow the steps below:

1. Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location.
  2. Write on the check/money order made payable to "U.S. Treasury" and write Third EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number, or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.
  3. Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.

The address you would mail it to would depend on his resident state. Please see the link Questions and Answers about the Third Economic Impact Payment — Topic I: Returning the Third Economi....

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies