Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA eligibility?

I'm not sure where else to ask this question but thanks for any advice or point me where I could better post this question:

We are a family of 4: Husband, wife, & 2 kids (claimed as dependents, both between 18-21).

Hubby has had a HDHP for many years and we have been contributing to an HSA account in his name, family contribution. Hubby is the subscriber on this health plan and wifey and 2 kids are listed as dependents on this health plan.

Wifey just gained employment this summer where she opted to enroll in the PPO plan (employer pays all premiums) and wifey listed hubby and 2 children as dependents on this health plan.

Does wifey's PPO health insurance now disqualify hubby from contributing to an HSA?

Again...thanks for any advice. We just thought about this question and we're stressing about this and have already contributed the max family contribution for 2023.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

HSA eligibility?

Ok...after more thinking and googling...I think Hubby was not eligible to contribute in 2023. I'm going to contact our HSA account company and ask about next steps to reverse the contribution.

Any comments or advice still welcome though.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies