turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maverickd

How do I calculate the amount I pay for imputed income?

I have to pay tax on my health insurance now that I’m divorced. My paystub shows the amount I pay for my coverage each pay check. It’s taken out pre-tax but then below that they add the amount back to my income. I’ve read about what imputed income is and my employer doesn’t charge me a percentage of the health insurance cost, they add the entire amount back so I’m taxed on the full amount. How can I figure out how much this costs me monthly?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

How do I calculate the amount I pay for imputed income?

Since you arleady know what imputed income is, there's no need to refer you to https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/blog/a-closer-look-at-imputed-income/ (I put it here for others reading this thread).

Your employer has already done the math and you don't have to do anything. It's already included in box 1 of your W-2.  Do note that since it's for health insurance, the insurance costs can be included as a medical expense for inclusion on SCH A. Of course, until the total of all of your medical expenses exceed 2% of your AGI, they won't make any difference to your tax liability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies