Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ztorr

How can I qualify for the stimulus check recovery on my taxes

Hello, i haven’t received  the previous stimulus checks .  For my taxes last year I was accidentally filed as a dependent. 

I got married in August and am legally an independent now but i still wasn’t able to claim money from the $600 stimulus check after. I was wondering how I can claim my stimulus money if my spouse has received it. When he received his he only got the amount for one person rather than a couple . Would I have to file jointly or separately ? would i qualify for the stimulus funds if i wanted to recover them with my taxes?? Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

How can I qualify for the stimulus check recovery on my taxes

Filing jointly is virtually always the way to file when you are married (occasionally state tax has an impact). Your situation is not a reason to file separately from your new spouse.

The tax return is equipped to handle the stimulus recovery when you have not received what you are entitled to.  

A worksheet will be completed with your return.  The Recovery Rebate Credit will cover both the first and second stimulus payments. This will determine the full amount of potential refund you are entitled to based on income and eligible dependents, and will be part of the final combined refund on your return, if applicable.

As far as the return where you were claimed as a dependent last year, they will reconcile their 2020 tax return using the same method to reconcile their stimulus payments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies