Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Final K-1 Oil & Gas Ltd Partnership 2018. First K-1 (in 2014) was never put on 2014 return. What should I do?

We always had a CPA doing our taxes until 2017 when I started Turbo Tax.  I am doing 2018 (late) and one of my husband's oil investments dissolved in 2018.  The very FIRST K-1 (2014) for the one that is dissolving was left off of our 2014 return and we need those passive losses.  I REALLY don't want to amend 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017 since it won't change our tax liability in those years.   I THINK I fixed it but am not sure.  See below for what I did and what I was going to send with the tax return.  I'm not sure if sending it is a good idea. 

Does the method I used to fix it  make sense?   Should I just  the numbers I came up with and send the return without the manifesto and supporting docs?  It is not a lot of money,  Is there a chance they would look at my 2017 return and see that the passive carryovers are less than what went in to 2018.  

Thanks in advance.

Brian purchased interest in 2 partnerships (Silver Tusk ($12,500) and Red Hawk Resources I ($25,000)) that provided their first K-1s in 2014.  We gave the K-1s to the CPA but they were not on the 2014 returns and we didn’t notice.   2015 K-1 was on 2015 return but because 2014 was missing the carry forward losses were incorrect on all returns through 2017. 

I only noticed because Silver Tusk dissolved in 2018 and the Carry forward passive losses from 2017 were tiny which made no sense.  In going through past K-1s and tax returns I found that 2015 was the first tax return that included the partnerships.

I believe that this 2018 return has the correct figures and since there was no taxable income and losses are passive until disposition there is no reason to amend 2014-2017 returns.  I'm including this explanation and supporting documents in case you notice a discrepancy between 2017 and 2018. 

Here is how I fixed the carry forward losses.  I input the 2014 K-1s in to Turbo Tax software (2017 earliest I have).  I printed the worksheets and combined the carry forward losses from the 2014 K-1 worksheets with the carry forward losses on the 2017 K-1 worksheets and used the combined figures on the 2018 return.   

For each partnership I was going to attach:

• Calculations showing what should have been on 2017 Return
  • 2014 K-1
  • 2014 worksheet
  • 2017 worksheet

Thanks again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies