Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MarlaAM

Capital Gains Special Circumstances Exemption

I bought my townhouse 7 years ago not knowing there was an illegal vacation rental next door.  The owners lied to the city, HOA, builder and realtors.  I has meetings with the city, HOA, builder, realtors to try to make it stop.  The builder said it was his number one priority to end the situation in his new project.  The owners had no garbage service, the renters were to pack it out so there was a mouse infestation.  I never knew who or what was going to be next door when I got home.  The noise was intolerable and the owners started retaliating against me by having some of their tenants harass me, a then 63 year old retired nurse.

They owner on the other side of this unit sold as he did not want to deal with the situation.  I left and decided to rent and move back in when the situation cleared itself, knowing I had 5 years to move back in before the cap gains exemption was not available.  Enter Covid.   Because of a moratorium on rentals in Oregon, I could not ask my tenants, a single mother with 4 kids, to leave.  This lasted for over 2 years.  By the time her lease ended it was over the 5 year mark. I moved back in last May.  My 24 (nonsequential) months of residence is not in the required 5 years but is 6 years.  I would like to sell and put this whole situation behind me.  Can I claim a special circumstance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Capital Gains Special Circumstances Exemption

No.

Unfortunately, you cannot claim an exception to the eligibility test for the exclusion of capital gains.

Please read the Exceptions to the eligibility test on page 4 of this IRS publication.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies