Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davidddb
Returning Member

2019 Roth contribution limits

My wife's salary has most of it taken up with pre-tax deductions (ie 403b,HSA, KPERS, health ins, etc) There is only about 8,600.00 taxable income. There is also about 2,000.00 withheld for medicare and social security, my question is can we also contribute the full new 7,000 amount to a Roth IRA (she is 54)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Maybe. It will depend on your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) based on your filing status. There are Roth IRA contribution limits that kick in at certain income levels when you (or your spouse) is covered by an employer plan. The IRS link below has the income limits for the filing statuses. If your income is close to the limits, enter your contribution in the software and it will let you know how much you can contribute or not.

Roth contributions if covered by an employer plan

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
davidddb
Returning Member

I am sorry that I did not make my concern clear.  With only 8,600.00 of taxable income and 2,000.00 of it withheld for medicare and social security that only leaves 6,600.00 of take home.  Is 7,000.00 contribution to a Roth too much to contribute?  Thanks

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, she has more than enough taxable income to make a Roth IRA contribution. Take home isn't an issue. But do check the income limits listed in the earlier IRS link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
alisham

I found a bug. The TurboTax for 2019 STILL says that the limit for Roth IRA for 2019 is $5,500. It is $6,000. Because of this i'm told i have to pay fines. PLEASE FIX
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies