Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 NEC

I received a 1099 NEC from our County Natural Resource Department as part of a grant program for habitat enhancement.  The money they paid me under the program was paid to another party for whom I contracted to do the work for me.  If I play along and complete a Schedule C (even though I'm not running a business) what are the ramifications versus checking "This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby (This is not common)?  This statement is the truth....it was a one-time activity.

It was a grant....why am I paying self employment & income tax on this type of money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

1099 NEC

You are correct to report this as sporadic income, since you're unlikely to be paid this grant again. Go back through the 1099-NEC interview and be sure you checked that box so the income is reported as Other Income on Schedule 1 Line 8z. You can report your expenses on another 1099-NEC, just enter a negative number. This adjustment will also go to Line 8z so you'll be taxed on the net as ordinary income (not from self-employment).

You may also need to delete the Schedule C that you started. The best option is to delete the form directly (Sch C Wks in the forms list). See below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099 NEC

Thank you, Patricia, appreciate the reply.  You said I can report my expense (which would be the same amount of the grant paid to another party) on another 1099-NEC, but I don't have another 1099-NEC.  If I'm paying tax on the grant amount as ordinary income, I suppose it doesn't matter what was done with, correct?  It's not like I'll get a deduction for applying it to the purpose of the grant.  Or, do I misunderstand?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

1099 NEC

Yes, if you enter the expenses in the same way you entered the 1099-NEC, you will offset the income by the costs you incurred. You don't need to have another 1099-NEC, you are simply reporting the related expenses. Since the granting organization paid the contractor directly, the costs were meant to be covered by the grant (little to no net taxable income).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies