Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Yeah, I have a question - why is Turbotax so military unfriendly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Have you seen this?  I'm linking you to the TurboTax page for our Military personnel.  Looks pretty friendly to me!  

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/military-edition.jsp

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Having a dedicated website is not enough--and it is not a military edition, only a military website.  If TurboTax was military friendly, there would be an option to select "Joined the Military" or "Got out of the Military" under significant life events, and the options available throughout the program would fit to match.  Anyone who appreciates military service would understand that this is just as big of a deal as buying a home or having a child.  It feels like I am the only person to get out of the military and try to file taxes.  

News flash: nobody gets out of the military on December 31, and taxes change mid-way during the year.  The options available in the program don't enable users to select the date they got out of the military, which drastically changes state taxes.

And please, if you are not or have never been in the military, I really don't care about your opinion.  Clearly you have never been, so you have never had to deal with this COMMON tax problem.  Everyone who is in the military has to get out some day, let's not forget about veterans the day they get out.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Wow.  That's a lot of specific information hiding under a very generic question.  

Let me say first that I have nothing but the utmost respect and appreciation for our military.  THANK YOU for your service, whether you be active, reserve or a veteran.  In my opinion (though you don't care about my opinion), our veterans are the top of the heap and should be treated accordingly.  

I will share your post with TurboTax Moderators who hopefully will send your valid feedback on up the chain.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies